Emergency Number: 911, Emergency Management Office 859-257-3815 or 859-257-6655

Hazardous Material Emergency

If you are involved with or observe a hazardous material (biological, chemical, radiological, fuel or oil) spill, incident or release for which assistance is needed:
  • Immediately call:
    From campus phone: 911
    From cell phone*: 911 or #UKPD (#8573)
    *If you dial 911 from a cell phone to report something on campus immediately tell the dispatcher that you are calling from UK Campus and provide them with the street address or exact location from which you are calling.
  • Be prepared to provide the following information:
    • Building name and street address
    • Location of the incident
    • Type of material/chemical involved
    • Estimated quantity of material/chemical involved
    • If anyone is injured or exposed
    • Your name, phone number and location
  • Follow instructions provided by emergency responders.
  • Turn off all ignition and heat sources.
  • Try not to inhale gases, fumes, or smoke
  • Cover mouth with a clean cloth while leaving the area
  • If you come in contact with spilled material, immediately remove clothing and flush area with large amounts of water for at least 15 minutes. Use a safety shower if possible.

Do not attempt to clean up a spill or release unless you are trained to do so and have the proper equipment.

If you are notified of a hazardous materials release:

If an evacuation is ordered:

  • Leave the area immediately and move approximately 1/2 mile away (8 to 10 blocks).
  • Keep others away from affected area and help any special needs individuals.
  • Stay upstream, uphill, and upwind of the incident location.

If a "shelter in place" is ordered:

  • Close all outside windows and doors.
  • Turn off heating/cooling system (HVAC), if possible.
  • Go to pre-selected shelter room above ground level; select a room with the fewest opening to the outside.
  • If possible, fill gaps under doors and/or windows with wet towels.


If you see what you believe to be an unauthorized release/disposal of any pollutants to the environment, call UK Police at 257-1616.

For more information on:
Chemical spills go to http://ehs.uky.edu/ehs/em/chemspill.html
Biological spills go to http://ehs.uky.edu/ehs/hmm/spill.html



Copyright © 2010 University of Kentucky: An Equal Opportunity University
A division of Campus Services · Comments to: Webmaster · Site Map
Page last updated: April 19, 2013